And that is the very definition of Functional Medicine: addressing and fixing the root causes of diseases benefits most chronic diseases. With the help of a Functional Medicine Doctor, you can figure out:
– What’s a healthy diet for me and my genetics?
– How can I effectively and naturally reduce the inflammation in my body?
– How can I quickly and permanently stop smoking?
– What’s the safest exercise plan for me since I’m at high risk for a heart attack?
– How can I get off these medications that alter how my body is supposed to work and naturally fix this problem?
Over the years, Functional Medicine has taken all of the previous research and years of helping patients to produce the 11 simple lifestyle modifications that go a long way to helping you answer these questions in preventing or reversing heart disease:
1) Eat a healthy diet.
2) Steady your blood sugar.
3) Increase your fiber.
4) Avoid processed, junk foods and sodas.
5) Increase omega-3 fatty acids.
6) Eliminate ALL hydrogenated fat.
7) Avoid or reduce alcohol intake.
8) Take quality supplements.
9) Exercise 30-45 minutes at least five times a week.
10) Manage stress levels.
11) Avoid foods you are allergic/sensitive to/don’t digest well.
9 times out of 10, if a patient follows these 11 steps, they can achieve their goals with lifestyle changes and all-natural approaches and no need for medication. And with the help of a Functional Medicine Doctor, you have someone who can guide you through this process of efficiently, safely and naturally achieving your health goals. Dr. Hilary Rutledge is a Functional Medicine Doctor right here in Wilmington, NC. She has seen patients lower their cholesterol over 100 points simply by following her recommendations (no meds).